This page is for HMO’S
What is an HMO?
The term often used ‘HMO’ stands for House of Multiple Occupation or House in Multiple Occupancy. HMO can also be referred to as a ‘house share’.
An HMO is any property with the following combination(s) of tenants;
- 3 or more tenants
- with shared facilities like a bathroom or kitchen
- Or more than 1 household
What is the definition of household ;
- A single person, or several members of the same family who live together.
- Each tenant from a separate family is classed as a separate household.
What is the definition of ‘family’?
- Married couples who live together
- Two persons living together
- Including couples in same-sex relationships
- Relatives or half relatives count as the same ‘family’. This could also include; grandparents, stepparents, aunts, uncles, siblings & step-siblings.
Relevant Act, Regulations, guides and useful links for HMO
HMO Furniture and Furnishings Regulation
HMO Electrical Equipment Regulation
Plug & Sockets Regulation
Tenancy Deposit Protection
Legionnaires Disease Safety
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Right to rent’ Immigration regulation