Landlord EICR Electrical Safety inspection report 2024 Guide

What is an EICR certificate?

It is an abbreviation for an electrical installation condition report (EICR).

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 came into force on 1 June 2020. It applies to all tenancies created on or after that date in England from 1 July 2020.

The regulation requires residential properties to have a safety check on the electrical installations in their properties inspected every 5 years. A qualified and competent person must conduct the test.

A qualified person will check the Socket, consumer unit, fuse box, MCB’S, RCD, wiring, and light switches. If the electrician is instructed, electrical testing of any portable appliances can be done simultaneously.

The inspector will also check for any faults under the 18th Edition. The EICR is not limited to the above list.

The qualified person will then issue a certificate or a remedial action plan to put things right.

Landlords must give a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants and the local authority if asked.

Most landlords regularly check their installations using qualified electrical engineers to provide a safe home for their tenants. Visual inspection of the light fittings, sockets, fuse board and wiring will indicate if the property has unsafe electrics.

NAPIT has provided guidance on the requirements to help landlords better understand the legislation, its requirements, and its implementation.

What do EICR regulations say:

Private landlords need to ensure every electrical installation in their residential premises is inspected and tested at intervals of 5 years by a qualified and competent person.

The EICR regulations for new specified tenancies in England apply from 1 July 2020. This includes all existing tenancies from 1 April 2021. The ‘New specified tenancies’ are deemed any tenancy created on or after 1 June 2020.

Following the inspection and testing, a private landlord must:

  • Obtain a report from the (electrician) person conducting the inspection, which gives the test results, the next inspection and the due test date.
  • Supply a copy of the electrical safety certificate to each tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test.
  • Please provide a copy of that electrical safety certificate to the local housing authority within 7 days of receiving a request in writing for it from that authority.
  • Retain a copy of that report until the next inspection and test are due, and supply a copy to the person carrying out the next inspection and test.
  • Please provide a copy of the most recent electrical safety check certificate to any new tenant of the specified tenancy to which the report relates before that tenant occupies those premises and to any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request in writing for it from that prospective tenant.
  • You should provide the electrical inspection report to the tenants when signing the tenancy agreement and other documents like the gas safety certificate, EPC and how-to-rent guide.

Action needed in case of an Unsatisfactory Report:

An Electrical Installation Safety Report finds urgent remedial work or requires ‘further investigation’.

A landlord is required to ensure that a qualified and competent electrician carries out the necessary work within 28 days. The period specified in the report is less than 28 days, starting with the inspection and testing date.

The landlord must then:

  • Obtain written confirmation from a qualified person that further investigative or remedial work has been conducted. The electrical safety standards have been met, or additional investigative or remedial work is required.
  • Supply that written confirmation, together with a copy of the report, which needed further remedial work to each existing tenant. This needs to be provided within 28 days of completion of additional remedial work and the local housing authority within 28 days of further investigative or remedial work completion.

Local authorities enforce the new regulations; they can impose a financial penalty of up to £30,000 if they find a landlord breaches their duty.

Local authorities have the power to serve remedial notices to the landlord.

Suppose the remedial notice is ignored and action is not taken within 28 days. In that case, the local authority can arrange remedial work to be carried out, with consent from the tenant, and recover the cost from the landlord.

What EICR report should I be asking for?

The report that you need to request is an Electrical Installation Condition Report.

An Electrical Installation Condition Report is a report carried out to check the safety of the existing electrical installation within a dwelling and describe its condition.

Parts of the system reported include consumer units, protective bonding, lighting, switches, sockets, etc. Its purpose is to confirm whether the electrical installation is safe for continued service.

The report will show whether the electrical installation is in a ‘satisfactory’ or ‘unsatisfactory’ condition and detail a list of observations affecting the safety or requiring improvements.

The report will include the following codes, which are industry standards and simple to follow and understand.

Unsatisfactory Codes for EICR:

  • C1 – Danger is present, and risk of injury or immediate remedial action is needed.
  • C2 – Potentially Dangerous, urgent required corrective action.
  • FI – Further investigation is needed.

A Satisfactory Code is:

  • C3 – Improvement recommended

Action is needed if the EICR issued is unsatisfactory. For example, it is inadequate if an EICR has a C1, C2 or FI code.

If a C1 is discovered, the electrician will often use temporary measures to make the dangerous installation safe.

Then, as with a C2 or FI code, the owner’s responsibility is to arrange a repair, replacement, or further investigation within 28 days.

A C3 code, ‘improvement recommended’, is given to aspects of the installation that do not present danger but increase the property’s safety standard.

Occasionally, a C3 code may be attributed to an item that does not follow current regulations but did comply when it was installed.

The C3 code does not mean the installation is unsafe and should not impose a requirement to have work carried out by the owner. Where only C3 observations are listed, a satisfactory EICR will be issued.

Will I get a Certificate to prove my compliance?

There is no requirement for a certificate; you will, however, receive a report which will be issued, and it must include the following:

  • The results of the inspection and test (satisfactory or unsatisfactory)
  • If applicable, a list of observations requiring remedial work or further investigation.
  • The date the next inspection and test are due by

As an EICR can be long and technical, NAPIT has created aLandlord Electrical Installation Safety Record, which is easy to understand.

If the EICR fails, will I need another electrical installation safety report done again?

No. you need the remedial work or further investigation to be done within 28 days or within the period specified on your report if it is less than 28 days.

Landlords should obtain “Electrical Installation Certificates or Minor Work Certificates” from the electrician they use to do any rectification work. This is to prove the necessary jobs have been completed.

This must be kept with the unsatisfactory report.

Do I need to send a copy of the report with proof of remedial work being completed to the council within 28 days?

This requirement has been specifically introduced to alert the council to any properties which may have been sub-standard but are now safe for the tenant.

You must provide the council with the unsatisfactory report along with written confirmation to prove you have had the necessary remedial/or further investigative work done.

How do I check if the electrician I use to test my electrical installation meets the qualified and competent requirements?

Any Qualified Electrician you use to do the electrical inspection and testing on your property must have the following:

  • Adequate insurance. This should include at least £2 million in public liability insurance and £250,000 in professional indemnity insurance.
  • A qualification covering the current version of the wiring regulations (BS 7671)
  • A qualification covering the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations.
  • At least two years of experience in carrying out periodic inspections and testing.

Using someone on NAPIT’s Electrical Inspector register ensures that the above criteria are met.

The advantages of using a registered company are:

  • The qualifications, experience and competence of their employees have been verified.
  • The company is assessed regularly to verify ongoing competence and that insurance and record-keeping are in place.
  • Their inspection work is checked for compliance.
  • The registration or certification body to which they belong can require them to correct errors or improve their performance, impose sanctions to ensure compliance, or ultimately remove approval.

Does my property need to follow the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations?

No- The 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations states the following:

“existing installations that have been installed following earlier editions of the regulations may not comply with this Edition in every respect. Which does not necessarily mean they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading”.

What types of tenancy are included in the EICR regulations?

Suppose a private tenant has a right to occupy a property as their only or primary residence and pays rent. In such cases, the regulations apply, subject to some excluded tenancies (set out in Schedule 1 of the Regulations).

The regulation applies to assured shorthold tenancies and licences to occupy a residential property.

Will an electrical report need to be done at the start or during a statutory periodic tenancy?

Dwellings let on statutory periodic tenancy where the fixed term expires between July 2020 and April 2021 will need an inspection and test.

For statutory periodic tenancies, where on expiry of the fixed term, the tenancy rolls over into a periodic tenancy automatically by statute, the periodic tenancy would be considered a new tenancy, which means you must get an EICR.

Does EICR Regulation apply to Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMO)?

Yes, they do. The earlier regulations were repealed, and the new regulation applies to HMOs from 1 June 2020.

If I do not give my tenant an EICR report within 28 days, does it prevent me from serving a Section 21 notice on my tenant?

No, it does not fall under these new regulations.

What happens if I do not have an EICR Report?

The council can impose a financial penalty of up to £30,000.

If a private landlord does not obtain satisfactory electrical installation safety, report their property as set out in the regulations. Or you do not undertake the required remedial work or further investigation within the necessary timeframe.

The local council must serve a remedial notice giving the landlord 28 days to act.

If the landlord does not act, the council can instruct an authorised person to do the required remedial work with the tenant’s consent.

The council can recover reasonable costs of the work from the landlord. Also, note that insurance companies may not cover the risk if you claim for fire damage, etc.

Do the electrical regulations apply to fixed and portable electrical appliances?

These regulations have not set any requirement on fixed or portable electrical appliances that a landlord has provided.

However, it is strongly recommended that any electrical appliances provided by a landlord to a tenant be regularly electrically inspected and tested.

It is recommended that the landlords consider testing fixed electrical appliances and the Electrical Installation checks and tests simultaneously.

When letting a property, if an electrical appliance is found to be unsafe, this could cause the letting agent and or the landlord legal problems.

You can read the BLA guidance on portable appliance testing.

My tenant won’t allow me access to complete the report

If you are attempting to complete an inspection and your tenant is not allowing access and the tenant’s failure is persistent, then you should do the following:

  • Contact the local council environmental officer requesting help to obtain access to the let property. The officer needs to be local to the let property. It is vital to email, so you have a record of your email. in the email, you need to set out your failed attempts to gain access for whatever reason.
  • Send an email to the tenant and the guarantor if you have one requesting access to the let property.
  • If you have agents managing the property, get them to send you an email setting out the problem with access to complete the test.
  • If you are a BLA member, send an email setting out the problems with access.

The above is a record of your asking for help in dealing with the tenant’s failure to grant access.

How long does it take to do electrical safety checks?

It should take between 1 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the property and the condition of the electrical circuit and the fuse box, also known as the consumer unit.

Half of all UK house fires are caused accidentally by defective house wiring. A lack of regular electrical safety checks can be life-threatening. Also, every year over 65 people die from incorrect wiring.

What does a test report involve?

A test will check the electrical installation condition and evaluate how efficiently it is working.

The test looks for any deterioration, defects, or areas of electric shock risks, safety and or fire hazards, safety issues like bonding or earthing of installations and any electrical equipment.

Which type of landlord needs an EICR?

Legally residential landlords must obtain an Electrical Installation Condition Report (Electrical Installation Report) from the electrician conducting the test. The report will explain its outcomes and any investigative or remedial work needed.

How much does an EICR test cost?

The cost of an electrical installation condition report (EICR) depends on how big the property is. The average price for a 3-bedroom house is between £80 to £140.

Where can I get an landlord EICR check done?

Qualified electricians can only carry out EICRs with the relevant skills and competencies.

You can check on websites like CheckaTrade Is the 5-year electrical test a legal requirement?

Yes, it is for residential properties. Private landlords must ensure every electrical installation in their residential property is checked at regular intervals of no more than 5 years.

A qualified and competent person must conduct this.

Do I need an EICR to sell my house?

An EICR is not legally needed if you are selling your property. However, it may help potential buyers and make them aware that the electrics are safe.

How long is an EICR valid for?

A very common question is how long a landlord’s electrical certificate lasts. It is recommended that an EICR be carried out every ten years, five years for privately residential rented properties, or if there is a change of tenant in a dwelling.

Can a tenant move in without a report?

No, not if you do not have a valid report. However, new build properties should already have one.

Suppose your rental property is a new build or has been completely rewired. In that case, you will not need to get an Electrical Installation Condition Report until five years after your EICR was issued.

A gas safety check is as important as EICR, and landlords should ensure they have a valid gas safety certificate and that all gas appliances should are safe and in good working order.

Is an EICR required for Wales?

Many Welsh landlords ask if an EICR is a requirement for Wales. For Wales, EICRs are not currently a legal requirement for single-let properties in Wales. However, they are a requirement for HMO’s.

How Often Does A Landlord Need An EICR?

Landlords are obligated to obtain a new EICR at least every five years for each of their rental properties. This interval ensures that electrical installations are regularly inspected for any deterioration or faults, promoting tenant safety and compliance with regulations.

Is Landlord Responsible For EICR On Commercial Property?

Yes, landlords are responsible for obtaining an EICR for commercial properties they own or manage. Just like residential properties, commercial premises must adhere to electrical safety regulations to mitigate potential hazards and ensure the well-being of occupants.

Do Landlords Need EICR?

Absolutely. Landlords have a legal obligation to ensure that their rental properties meet certain safety standards, including electrical safety. Obtaining an EICR not only fulfills this requirement but also demonstrates a commitment to tenant welfare and compliance with regulations.

What Is EICR For Landlords?

An EICR, or Electrical Installation Condition Report, is a comprehensive assessment of the electrical installations within a property. Conducted by qualified electricians, this inspection evaluates the safety and integrity of the electrical systems, highlighting any potential hazards or areas of concern.

Is EICR Compulsory For Landlords?

Yes, obtaining an EICR is compulsory for landlords. Regulatory bodies mandate regular inspections to ensure that rental properties meet safety standards and pose no threat to occupants. Failure to comply with this requirement can result in legal consequences and jeopardize the landlord’s reputation.

Do Landlords Need An EICR Every Year?

While EICRs are required every five years, landlords may choose to conduct more frequent inspections for peace of mind and proactive maintenance. However, the legal obligation stipulates a minimum interval of five years between EICR assessments for each rental property.

Do Landlords Have To Have An EICR?

Yes, landlords must have an EICR for each of their rental properties. This ensures compliance with electrical safety regulations and safeguards the well-being of tenants. Ignoring this requirement can lead to penalties, litigation, and compromised tenant trust.

The British Landlords Association is a national landlords association. Why not join us today for only £79.95 a year?

Our top blogs:

Warning extending the ban on eviction will cause a tumbleweed effect on the housing crisis

How to make an accelerated possession claim under section 24?


This post is for general use only and is not intended to offer legal, tax, or investment advice; it may be out of date, incorrect, or maybe a guest post. You are required to seek legal advice from a solicitor before acting on anything written hereinabove.

Shopping Basket
Scroll to Top