A private residential landlord Mr Tariq Javed has been fined £48,000 after failing to comply with House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) regulations.
The whopping fine is for a property Mr Javed owns at St Johns Road in Aylesbury.
The St Johns Road property was regularly inspected by officers from Buckinghamshire council from October 2019 through to February 2020.
The council officers issued multiple warnings that his property did not meet minimum standards for an HMO.
The breaches included a non-working fire detection unit, obstructed fire escape routes, trip hazards and lack of lighting on the staircase.
The property also lacked adequate lighting for other escape routes.
Alarmingly Mr Javed failed to comply with notices to provide legal documents such as tenancy agreements and gas safety certificates.
He also failed to comply with an improvement notice to bring the property up to an acceptable standard.
Mr Javed was due in court but failed to turn up. He was fined £48,000; this included more than £6,000 in Buckinghamshire Magistrates Court costs too.
Upon conviction, the magistrate commented: “We believe Mr Javed exercises control and manages the property.
Within the property, hygiene was woefully lacking; it was uninhabitable. The kitchen was unfit for use, the gas supply was a risk, and there was danger of electrocution.
“Importantly, the escape routes were cluttered and dangerous due to trip hazards, and a child could fall through the gaps in the staircase bannister.”
Mr Nigel Dicker, service director for housing and regulatory services for Buckinghamshire Council, said:
“Mr Javed failed in his duty as a Landlord to provide decent, safe and clean accommodation for his tenants.”
“He did not comply with Council officers‘ legal requests to carry out the works needed to improve the property”.
“We hope this substantial fine sends the loud and clear message to any landlord who puts profits ahead of people. We will always take action to protect our residents.”
Dr William Masih, director of the British Landlords Association, said: “This is a flagrant breach of the important safety aspects of any HMO.”
Top read Blogs: